PRBC Policy Statement on Children, young people and the Church
- As members of this church we commit ourselves to the nurturing, protection and safekeeping of all, especially children and young people.
- It is the responsibility of each one of us to prevent the physical, sexual or emotional abuse of children and young people, and to report any abuse discovered or suspected.
- We recognize that our work with children and young people is the responsibility of the whole church.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection and appointment of those working with children and young people whether paid or volunteers.
- The church is committed to supporting, resourcing and training those who work with children and young people and to providing supervision.
- The church is committed to following the Home Office Code of Practice Safe from Harm and adopts the guidelines and procedures published by the Baptist Union of Great Britain in Safe to Grow (revised edition).
- Each worker with children and young people must know the recommendations and undertake to observe them. Each shall be given a copy of the church’s agreed procedures and Good Practice Guidelines.
- As part of our commitment to children and young people the church has appointed Jeune Persaud to be their advocate (responsible person). Her role will be regularly explained to the children and her contact details displayed.
- This statement was agreed at a church meeting on 9 March 2005. It will be reviewed regularly and progress reported back to the church.